The history of Holmegaard glassworks began in 1823, when Count Christian Danneskiold-Samsøe sought permission from the King of Denmark to establish a glassworks at Holmegaard Mose. However, the Count died in 1823 without receiving an answer to his request. His dowager, Countess Henriette Danneskiold-Samsøe, decided to pursue the project when, shortly after the death of her husband, she received permission from the King to establish a glassworks. The factory was to be located in the bog because there was sufficient fuel there to produce the high temperatures needed for the glass kiln.
Initial production at Holmegaard glassworks began in 1825. Early on, the factory produced only green bottles, but Henriette also wanted to produce clear glass tumblers, and the Bohemian glassblowers were able to manufacture these. The history of Holmegaard glassworks is a story of a few small glassworks in a peat bog, growing to become part of a large modern group over a period of 185 years. During the 20th century, artists entered the equation, designing and shaping Holmegaard’s glass products. This was the start of a long and proud tradition, and as a result, even to this very day, some of the best artists in Denmark are associated with Holmegaard’s glass production.